The Shrine of Our Lady of Mount Carmel (Santuario de Nuestra Señora del Carmen) is located in Los Realejos, in the north of Tenerife, and is the most important Marian Shrine in this part of the island. This is where people worship Our Lady of Mount Carmel (Nuestra Señora del Carmen), Patron Saint of the La Orotava Valley.
It is built on the land where the old Convent de San Andrés and Santa Mónica stood, which was destroyed by a fire in the mid-20th Century. Construction then began on this Shrine, which means is a recently built Catholic church, but one that is highly important for the region, as the Virgen del Carmen has always been a figure of great devotion in the north of the island.
At the end of the 20th Century, the Shrine, the Plaza de San Agustín that it rests on and its urban area where declares Sites of Cultural Interest (Bien de Interes Cultural).
Inside the Santuario de Nuestra Señora del Carmen, the sculpture of the Virgen del Carmen is a highlight, as she is the symbol of the San Agustín neighbourhood in which the church is built. It dates from the 17th Century it originates from Genova in Italy.
You will also find other images, like that of Saint Augustine of Hippo (San Agustín de Hipona) (c. 1777), Saint Andrew the Apostle (San Andrés Apóstol) (c. 1693), and the Señor del Huerto (17thC).
Activities & Tours
- The 6 Most Charming Villages in Tenerife
- Tenerife Carnival
- The 10 BEST VIEWPOINTS in Tenerife
- 7 of Tenerife’s Most Unusual Landscapes
- 6 wild and (almost) secret beaches in Tenerife
- 15 Best Things To Do In Tenerife
- The 10 Best Hotels in Tenerife
- 10 Great Things To Do In Tenerife With Kids
- The 10 Best Beaches in Tenerife
- South Tenerife or North Tenerife?