The Iglesia de Nuestra Señora de la Concepción (The First Church of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception) is found right in the centre of Realejo Bajo, which is one of the two Historical sites in the region of Los Realejos, in northern Tenerife.
This Catholic church was built shortly after the arrival of the Europeans, however the first references to a hermitage on this land date back to the early decades of the 16th Century. Of course, it was through various refurbishments where it would take the shape that we see today.
Although a fire in 1978 destroyed most of its heritage, there are now artworks inside such as an effigy of Nuestra Señora de los Afligidos (Our Lady Comforter of the Afflicted) (1637), the carving of Nuestra Señora de la Candelaria (Our Lady of Candelaria) (1650), sculptures such as Virgen del Rosario (Our Lady of the Rosary) or Nuestra Señora de los Dolores (Our Lady of Sorrows), as well as numerous goldsmiths works and a significant pictorial legacy.
Activities & Tours
- The 6 Most Charming Villages in Tenerife
- Tenerife Carnival
- The 10 BEST VIEWPOINTS in Tenerife
- 7 of Tenerife’s Most Unusual Landscapes
- 6 wild and (almost) secret beaches in Tenerife
- 15 Best Things To Do In Tenerife
- The 10 Best Hotels in Tenerife
- 10 Great Things To Do In Tenerife With Kids
- The 10 Best Beaches in Tenerife
- South Tenerife or North Tenerife?