Abama is a small but spectacular beach, located in an idyllic setting on Tenerife’s southwest coast, nestled between ravines, cliffs, banana plantations and one of the island’s most popular luxury hotels, the Ritz-Carlton Abama. That probably explains why it is one of the most photographed beaches on the island.
It is located away from the main tourist hubs in the south of Tenerife, but it is still quite popular among visitors and residents. With a horseshoe shape, it is protected from the waves by two solidified lava flows that enter the ocean and a small breakwater, meaning that its waters are calm and ideal for swimming year-round. It is a perfect beach for all types of guests, with the only drawback being how busy it can get in the summer.
On clear days, you can even see La Gomera island, located around 30km away from the beach. The sunsets on Abama make the trip worthwhile.
Accessing Playa de Abama
To access the beach, you need to go through the Ritz-Carlton Abama Hotel. All of Spain’s beaches are public property, so even if you are not staying at the hotel, you have the right to access the beach. In addition to the hotel’s car park, you can find places to park nearby.
Activities & Tours
- The 10 Best Natural Pools in Tenerife
- The 5 Best Museums in Tenerife
- The 6 Most Charming Villages in Tenerife
- Tenerife Carnival
- The 10 best viewpoints in Tenerife
- 7 of Tenerife’s Most Unusual Landscapes
- 6 wild and (almost) secret beaches in Tenerife
- 15 Best Things To Do In Tenerife
- The 10 Best Hotels in Tenerife
- 10 Great Things To Do In Tenerife With Kids