Canary Islands Military History Museum is situated by Fort of Almeyda, right in the centre of the city Santa Cruz de Tenerife.
Fort of Almeyda
The famous battle of Santa Cruz de Tenerife took place in 1797, when rear admiral Horatio Nelson launched an attack against Tenerife with the intention of conquering the island for the British Crown. The attack was held off by local troops, but left the city of Santa Cruz unguarded.
It was due to this attack that it was decided to build a defensive fort that would hold off attacks to the capital. This fort eventually became the Fort of Almeyda. Its construction lasted longer than anticipated and didn’t finish until 1884, by which point technological advances meant that the fort no longer had much of a military advantage.
In 1998, it was decided that parts of the fort would be home to a museum, which is now the Museum of Military History.
Military History Museum
The Canary Islands Military History Museum occupies an area of over 900m2 and is one of the best exhibits of military history in the archipelago. It is a journey through the Canary Islands’ rich military history, covering:
- Conquest and later incorporation of the archipelago to Castilla’s Crown.
- Role played by the islands in the conquest of America.
- Forts and militias created in the archipelago to defend it from attacks in the 16th, 17th, and 18th centuries.
- Victory over the British Horatio Nelson who tried to conquer Tenerife in 1797.
- A review of the 19th century.
- The Spanish Civil War and its impact on the islands.
- Spanish West Africa, Spanish colonies in the African continent whose military units formed part of the Canary military force.
Also keep in mind the varied exhibits and collections of armament, vehicles, awards, art and military material of all types.
Opening hours and prices:
- Tuesday to Friday, from 9am to 3pm.
- Saturday, Sunday and bank holidays, from 10am to 2pm.
- Free entry.
Activities & Tours
- The 10 Best Natural Pools in Tenerife
- The 5 Best Museums in Tenerife
- The 6 Most Charming Villages in Tenerife
- Tenerife Carnival
- The 10 best viewpoints in Tenerife
- 7 of Tenerife’s Most Unusual Landscapes
- 6 wild and (almost) secret beaches in Tenerife
- 15 Best Things To Do In Tenerife
- The 10 Best Hotels in Tenerife
- 10 Great Things To Do In Tenerife With Kids