The Church of Our Lady of Los Remedios (Iglesia de Nuestra Señora de Los Remedios) is right in the town centre of Buenavista del Norte, in the far northeast of Tenerife. It is a place of worship dedicated to the Virgin of Los Remedios (Virgen de los Remedios), Patron Saint of the town.
It was inaugurated in 1518 with a mass attended by the majority of the town, who had themselves driven the construction. The current church is the result of various later reforms and expansions, with the main tower the latest feature to be expanded.
In the summer of 1996, a fire destroyed a large part of the inside of the church, including almost all its artistic heritage. A significant quantity of altarpieces, paintings, and valuable works of gold were kept there. The image of the Virgen de Los Remedios (Virgin of Los Remedios) (c. 1733) also had to be replaced. The incident was a tragedy for Buenavista, who lost a part of their history in the fire.
Activities & Tours
- The 5 Best Museums in Tenerife
- The 6 Most Charming Villages in Tenerife
- Tenerife Carnival
- The 10 BEST VIEWPOINTS in Tenerife
- 7 of Tenerife’s Most Unusual Landscapes
- 6 wild and (almost) secret beaches in Tenerife
- 15 Best Things To Do In Tenerife
- The 10 Best Hotels in Tenerife
- 10 Great Things To Do In Tenerife With Kids
- The 10 Best Beaches in Tenerife