Buenavista del Norte is in the far north-east of Tenerife and is the capital of the municipality with the same name. Construction of the town centre began in the early 16th Century, after the European conquest of the island.
The central point of its old town is the Plaza de Los Remedios, which is the hub of social life in the town. Buenavista’s most important buildings stand around this plaza and constitute an interesting selection of traditional local architecture.
Points of interest
- Casa de la Viuda. Residence from the second half of the 17th Century, great example of domestic architecture from the era in the Canary Islands.
- Iglesia de Nuestra Señora de Los Remedios. Church built between 1513 and 1518. One of the most valuable architectural works in Buenavista’s heritage. A large part of its art collection was destroyed by a fire in 1996.
- Plaza de los Remedios. Buenavista del Norte’s central square. The main meeting place of social life in the town. Stands out for its central pavilion.
- Antiguo convento de San Francisco (Former Convent of San Francisco). Although it is now in poor condition, its ruins serve as evidence of the buildings of the Franciscan Order in the Canary Islands. Authorisation for its constitution was given in 1648 through public pressure.
- Ermita de San Sebastián. This church with sober architecture was built in the 16th Century upon the initiative of the town’s residents. They received permission to build it in 1525.
- Hacienda de La Fuente. Located on the outskirts of Buenavista’s old town, built on the initiative of Juan Méndez el Viejo, one of the participants in the conquest of Tenerife. Previously used for cane and grapevine production.
- Ermita de La Fuente. A chapel which forms part of the Hacienda de La Fuente, which was built in the 16th Century.
Activities & Tours
Deals on places to stay
- The 10 BEST VIEWPOINTS in Tenerife
- 7 of Tenerife’s Most Unusual Landscapes
- 6 of Tenerife’s Best Wild Beaches and How To Reach Them
- 15 Best Things To Do In Tenerife
- The 10 Best Hotels in Tenerife
- 10 Great Ideas for Family Travel With Kids to Tenerife
- The 10 Best Beaches in Tenerife
- South Tenerife or North Tenerife?
- Alfombras de La Orotava • Feast of Corpus Christi