The Palmetum Botanical Garden is based in Santa Cruz de Tenerife on a large hill just outside the city, cooled by light breezes and looking over the Atlantic Ocean.
Extending over 120,000m2, it is a magnificent botanical garden which holds the largest collection of palms anywhere in the EU. It is pure natural beauty right in the capital of Tenerife, offering incredible views over the immensity of the ocean and the city of Santa Cruz.
The paths in the Palmetum snake between a wide array of vegetation, with a large system of streams, ponds, and even small waterfalls creating an idyllic walk.
All types of species from around the world come together in the Palmetum. With over 1200 species, and an estimated total of 3100 specimens, this natural space offers an unbeatable ecological diversity within the Canary Islands.
Over 70 of its species are at risk of extinction, while over 100 are endangered, meaning that Palmetum serves as an important conservation centre.
The collection of palms coming from the Caribbean, Florida, Dominican Republic, and Cuba stands out, as they benefit from a familiar climate in the Canary Islands to thrive.
Opening hours and prices
Palmetum is open from Monday to Sunday 10am – 6pm
Adult entry is €6 and child entry is €2.80 (up to 12 years). All under 3s go free.
Activities & Tours
- The 10 Best Natural Pools in Tenerife
- The 5 Best Museums in Tenerife
- The 6 Most Charming Villages in Tenerife
- Tenerife Carnival
- The 10 best viewpoints in Tenerife
- 7 of Tenerife’s Most Unusual Landscapes
- 6 wild and (almost) secret beaches in Tenerife
- 15 Best Things To Do In Tenerife
- The 10 Best Hotels in Tenerife
- 10 Great Things To Do In Tenerife With Kids