The Iglesia del Apóstol Santiago (Apóstol Santiago Church) is found in Los Realejos and is part of a Historical site of cultural heritage known as Realejo Bajo.
It is one of the first sites of religious worship built in Tenerife after the European conquest around 1496. It is likely that the church was built by the conquerors in gratitude for their victory in battle, and it should be considered part of their evangelical framework. This is where the pre-Hispanic kings would have been baptised up until their surrender to the Castilian forces.
Its story began as a small and simple place of Divine Worship, which continued to grow over the centuries to how it looks today.
The interior of the Apóstol Santiago Church holds genuine treasures of the Canary Islands’ cultural and artistic heritage. These include many sculptures and pictures, some of which are the oldest and best preserved on the island.
There are also a considerable number of altarpieces, such as:
- Retablo de Ánimas
- Retablo de la Misericordia
- Retablo de San José
- Retablo Mayor
- Retablo de la Virgen de los Remedios
- Retablo de Santa Bárbara
- Retablo de El Nazareno
Activities & Tours
Deals on places to stay
- The 10 BEST VIEWPOINTS in Tenerife
- 7 of Tenerife’s Most Unusual Landscapes
- 6 of Tenerife’s Best Wild Beaches and How To Reach Them
- 15 Best Things To Do In Tenerife
- The 10 Best Hotels in Tenerife
- 10 Great Ideas for Family Travel With Kids to Tenerife
- The 10 Best Beaches in Tenerife
- South Tenerife or North Tenerife?
- Alfombras de La Orotava • Feast of Corpus Christi