Church of Santa Ana

Main church in the town of Garachico

The Church of Santa Ana (Iglesia de Santa Ana) is in Garachico, in the north of Tenerife. It is the main church in the town and is built on the square which serves as the centre of the historic centre, the Plaza de la Libertad.

It was built in 1520 as a dedication to St Anne but had to be rebuilt three centuries later after being badly damaged by a violent volcanic eruption. It was reconstructed using the original plans as a basis during the 18th Century, which gave rise to the structure we can see today.

Architecture

Architecturally, its most striking feature is the 6-storey belltower. Built in masonry and painted pure white with dark detailing, it is crowned by a Christian cross.

The interior of the church is divided into three naves separated by columns and a series of arches that make the church feel spacious. The church has a ceiling decorated in the Artesonado style, influenced by mudejar culture.

The church has dozens of chapels, tableaus, and sculptures, among which the highlights are the images of Saint Anne, the patron saint of Garachico. As well as multiple references to Christ of the Mercy, which is celebrated every 5 years with a popular religious festival between July and August.

Activities & Tours

Deals on places to stay

Booking.com

Rate and write a review

Your email address will not be published.

Calle Julio Rosquet Garcia, s/n, 38450 Garachico
Get directions