The Church of Santa Ana (Iglesia de Santa Ana) is in Garachico, in the north of Tenerife. It is the main church in the town and is built on the square which serves as the centre of the historic centre, the Plaza de la Libertad.
It was built in 1520 as a dedication to St Anne but had to be rebuilt three centuries later after being badly damaged by a violent volcanic eruption. It was reconstructed using the original plans as a basis during the 18th Century, which gave rise to the structure we can see today.
Architecturally, its most striking feature is the 6-storey belltower. Built in masonry and painted pure white with dark detailing, it is crowned by a Christian cross.
The interior of the church is divided into three naves separated by columns and a series of arches that make the church feel spacious. The church has a ceiling decorated in the Artesonado style, influenced by mudejar culture.
The church has dozens of chapels, tableaus, and sculptures, among which the highlights are the images of Saint Anne, the patron saint of Garachico. As well as multiple references to Christ of the Mercy, which is celebrated every 5 years with a popular religious festival between July and August.
Activities & Tours
- The 5 Best Museums in Tenerife
- The 6 Most Charming Villages in Tenerife
- Tenerife Carnival
- The 10 BEST VIEWPOINTS in Tenerife
- 7 of Tenerife’s Most Unusual Landscapes
- 6 wild and (almost) secret beaches in Tenerife
- 15 Best Things To Do In Tenerife
- The 10 Best Hotels in Tenerife
- 10 Great Things To Do In Tenerife With Kids
- The 10 Best Beaches in Tenerife