The Church and Former Convent of Saint Augustine (Iglesia y ex convento de San Agustin) is in the north of Tenerife and is one of the most important historical buildings in Villa de La Orotava.
The church was built in the late-17th Century by the Augustine order, who were able to bring together the most powerful families in the town into what was called the Fellowship of the Twelve Houses to build a church that would be visible throughout practically the entire La Orotava Valley. It would also serve to consolidate La Orotova as a centre of power against San Cristóbal de La Laguna, which was back then capital of the island.
So, in 1671, the works began at the hands of Francisco Bautista Benítez de Lugo y Castillo and was then opened in 1694.
Inside the church, the highlight is the image of Our Lady of Grace (Nuestra Señora de Gracia), which presides over the Main Chapel and dates from the 17th Century. Furthermore, there are important sculptures within the island’s collection of sacred art, such as the Saint Monica (Santa Mónica) by Fernández Estévez, the Señor de la Humildad y Paciencia, the Señor del Perdón and Our Lady of Mount Carmel.
Activities & Tours
Deals on places to stay
- The 10 BEST VIEWPOINTS in Tenerife
- 7 of Tenerife’s Most Unusual Landscapes
- 6 of Tenerife’s Best Wild Beaches and How To Reach Them
- 15 Best Things To Do In Tenerife
- The 10 Best Hotels in Tenerife
- 10 Great Ideas for Family Travel With Kids to Tenerife
- The 10 Best Beaches in Tenerife
- South Tenerife or North Tenerife?
- Alfombras de La Orotava • Feast of Corpus Christi